How to fix your broken eyeshadow!

A couple of days ago I dropped my Mac palette and shed a tear or two at the sight of 3 broken and cracked eye shadows.

I was devastated and shared my sadness on Twitter. A big thanks you to all the girls who felt my pain and supported me through the tragic time! :)



I started googling on how to fix your broken eye shaodws and the most helpful was KandeeJohnson's video on YouTube. I was able to fix them very easily and the colour payoff was not affected.

Please note that when I took the step by step photos I had already fixed them but wanted to show you visual explanations to my written text.

YOU WILL NEED:

  • Surgical Spirit or Rubbing Alcohol (I purchased surgical spirit from Superdrug!)
  • A see through plastic bag / zip lock
  • 10p Coin or a Quarter.
  • A knife or something similar
  • Fabric or kleenex


Step 1: Place your broken eyeshadow into the corner of the bag making sure it's secure, use the end of your knife to crush it even further so that the particles will join together easily once the surgical spirit or rubbing alcohol is applied.


Step 2: Remove the eyeshadow from the bag and add a few drops of surgical spirit or rubbing alcohol until the entire eyeshadow is damp.



Step 3: Wrap your coin with piece of fabric or kleenex like so, if you are using fabric wet the surface area with the surgical spirit so it doesn't stick, using fabric will give the e/s a textured effect.



Step 4: Press firmly and leave to dry. I left mine overnight but the drying time is much quicker than that. I didn't like the textured effect of the fabric so I swirled my finger in the pan whilst it was wet to get rid of it. I don't mind what the e/s looks like as long as it's usable. :)



This method can be used to fix blushes, bronzers and even press pigments.

Comments

whatttt, that is so cool, I didn't know they could be fixed! And they turned out really well, kudos for not giving up on your eyeshadows.
Muhsine Emin said…
@Obsessed.Makup.Addict Thanks, I refused to give up on them and it paid off, so happy :) x
Holly said…
amazing, thank you for this my Laguna smashed yest and I need to fix it, can't live without it!thank youx
April said…
thanks for sharing the tip! we have all been there hahha.
Devea said…
Thanks so much for this! I haven't broken any shadows yet (Knock on wood)! But if I do, then I can use this method! Isn't this kind of similar to pressing pigments?
Muhsine Emin said…
@Hope yes it is! x
Asiya said…
yay for pictures! i have no time to watch videos, so your pics were so helpful. by the way, LOVE the purple shadow, looks like a nice shade of violet.
Lizzie said…
do you think this would work with any powder? As longs as you found something the right size to press it with? I'm thinking of a cracked MAC blot powder that spontaneously combusted on day in my handbag...
Muhsine Emin said…
@Aaina thanks it's stars n rockets. x

@Evie yes it will work, give it a go. x
Fifi said…
Thank you for sharing this!
I have a broken mac blush, I think I'm going to try it! :)
Εvi said…
I've watched this vid by Kandee, it was really helpful and I saved 3 eyeshadows that I would normally throw away.

Great pictures, as always!
LauraSummer said…
thank u for posting this! i broke my nocturnelle in my first attempt at depotting a mac shadow yesterday, good to know they can be mended!! x
Tali said…
My eyes did actually water a bit when i saw the smashed one! :( xx
Sarah said…
THIS! is the reason that i saved my cracked nars laguna bronzer! :):):) thanks! x
Anonymous said…
eee that's great, i love how you bought it from superdrug as well, it always seems to save the day xxx
Haha for some reason your Stars N Rockets looks WAY more vibrant than mine!
MEVISH said…
saw how to do this on youtube ages ago
JustMe said…
Thanks for this, yesterday I had the same problem with 2 eyeshadows, i will try this now!thanks
Unknown said…
Ahhh happened to me so many times! luckily no mac shadows..but its a bummer! Mac blushes are harder to fix imo..mine has cracked twice with this method, glad all urs a fixed!
BELLE said…
Hey hun I want to kn what photo editor do you use to labe your photos. Thanks
Muhsine Emin said…
@Marybelle I use photoshop x
yay! I'm so happy that you were able to fix your eyeshadow - it looks as good as new. :-)
India said…
Oooh thanks for this, I am sure I will need this at some stage! xx
Liesl said…
Great tip, thank you! :)

Liesl :)
great tip, Always good to know, Its devistating when this happens! i knew you could mend them but didnt know how :) Thanks for sharing

Nicola xo
Christel said…
So glad you managed to fix them!! :D
I've wanted to use this method to press pigments for ages but haven't got around to it yet..
Hinna said…
I never thought about letting the surgical spirit just seep through the shadow while most of it is whole! I would completely crush the shadow, mix a smooth paste, level it out in the pan and leave it until nearly dry before pressing with the cloth/coin to compact it all together. So much more effort! I'll try it this way next time x
Unknown said…
muhsine, did you have to buy your surgical spirit over the counter in superdrug or was it just on the shelf? I went in the other day and they weren't very helpful!
Sam said…
It was so interesting to read your tips- I read them all at once, ha ha! I used to love crafting so much but since I am so busy with work I seem to have lost my creative vein :( your posts inspired me heaps!
Anonymous said…
This was most useful. Just today I went to God-knows-how-many chemists and they've never hear of rubbing alcohol. I've seen surgical spirit, but they said no way I can use it to press e/s as it would burn my eyes!
thank you!!! I will get a bottle of this stuff then!
x
Gamma Raye said…
I just tried this and sadly, it didn't work at all :(

I guess Kryolan shadow is different.
Gamma Raye said…
I just tried this and sadly, it didn't work at all. Made a huge sticky mess, ended up throwing the shadow away.
I guess Kryolan is different.

Popular Posts